Google
 

Monday, July 30, 2007

Expressions of Desire

There are two ways to express desire or wish. When what one desires takes a noun (I want a car, I want money etc.) "hoshii (to want)" is used. When what one's wants involve action (I want to go, I want to eat etc.), the stem of the verb "~ tai (~たい)" is used.
-
I want a car.
Kuruma ga hoshii desu.
車が欲しいです。

-
I want to buy a car.
Kuruma o kaitai desu.
車を買いたいです。

-
I want that book.
Sono hon ga hoshii desu.
その本が欲しいです。

-
I want to read that book.
Sono hon o yomitai desu.
その本を読みたいです。

In informal situations, "~ desu(~です)" can be omitted.
-
I want money.
Okane ga hoshii.
お金が欲しい。

-
I want to go to Japan.
Nihon ni ikitai.
日本に行きたい。

These patters are used only for the first person, and in question for the second person. When describing a third person's desire, "hoshigatte imasu (欲しがっています)" or the stem of the verb "~ tagatte imasu (~たがっています)" are used.

- I want a camera.

Kamera ga hoshii desu.
カメラが欲しいです。

- My brother wants a camera.

Ani wa kamera o hoshigatte imasu.
兄はカメラを欲しがっています。

- I want to watch this movie.

Kono eiga o mitai desu.
この映画を見たいです。

- Ken wants to watch this movie.

Ken wa kono eiga o
mitagatte imasu.
謙はこの映画を見たがっています。

Please note that the object of "hoshii (ほしい)" is marked with the particle "ga (が)," while the object of "hoshigatte imasu(欲しがっています)" is marked with the particle "o (を)." The "~ tai(~たい)" expression is not normally used when asking about the desire of one's superior.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This stuff was copy-pasted from another site, and you managed to add mistakes, too!